In most cases, college students are struggling to make ends meet every semester. Many of these people are barely left with enough money to afford a meal at a restaurant every month. And quite a lot of students are struggling to go to a nice place with their date. This is why you need to learn how to save money in college. However, beware that there are some things that you should not save money on, no matter what. Learning how to save money for college activities is very important, and it may be easier than you though. Read on!
Why Save Money in the First Place?
So, why do college students need to save some money? Many students who have enough money rarely think about how to save money at college. But did you consider that life is full of unpredictable events? What do you do if your laptop or smartphone suddenly stops working? What do you do if you suddenly find yourself in need of medical care? You must have a reserve, so you must learn how to save money as a college student even when you have enough money to live a good life every day. However, don’t try to save money by cutting things you absolutely need. Here are three things you should never save money on.
DO NOT Save Money on These 3 Things
We know that you probably want to learn how to save money in college quickly. However, we feel that sometimes students go too far with their savings. Here are the three most important things that you should never try to save money on:
• Medical care. If you need medical care, do not postpone it and do not pick the cheapest service possible. Your health depends on it – maybe even your life. This is not something to save on.
• School books and material. Don’t pick the cheapest books and material when it comes to school. There is a reason why a book is just $5 when most of the others are over $10. The quality of the information you get is very important in college.
• Food. You can save money on food, but never save money on your diet. Do not buy the cheapest products (low quality salami and fast food immediately come to mind here) just to save a couple bucks here and there. Your health and your physical appearance depend on the quality of the food you eat.
How to Save Money in College on Food
Are you wondering how to save money in college on food? The truth is that you can save some money on food and not give up a healthy, balanced diet. In fact, you can both get healthier and save money by following some simple tips:
• Avoid all fast food items (also called junk food)
• Avoid sweets and soda drinks (these are not healthy)
• Replace expensive meat with less expensive vegetables
• Stop buying canned food
• Start cooking your own food (it’s cheaper than eating out)
• Frozen veggies and meat are cheaper
• Buy only what you need and how much you need (in other words, avoid wasting food)
You may not be an expert at cooking, but you can get more than enough assistance on the Internet. You can find thousands of free recipes that use any ingredients you can imagine. Practice makes perfect, remember!
How to Cut Unnecessary Expenses and Save Some Money
Don’t know how to save money in college? Don’t worry; there are a couple of things you can start doing today that will lead to significant savings every month. And most of these things are very simple to do:
• Turn off the lights all the time when you don’t need them
• Cook something yourself instead of going out to eat
• Be on the lookout for student discounts
• Keep the change, of course (it will add up)
• Do you really need all that coffee every day?
• Go to free events; they may be just as fun as paid ones
• Use a reusable water bottle instead of purchasing bottled water
• Buy used books and other classroom materials when possible
• Postpone buying a car (it’s a constant money-eater)
3 Extra Tips on How to Save Money in College
You now have an idea of how to how to save money for college expenses. You also know what not to save money on. But there are still three things you can do to save even more money. These are a bit more complicated, but we are certain you will succeed. Here are our three extra tips on how to save money in college:
• Get a job online. If you are a good essay writer, there are many websites that offer writing jobs to students of all ages.
• Avoid using your credit card or use it as rarely as possible (the fees quickly add up, remember).
• Invest in buying an advanced guide for saving money (these contain tried and tested methods and are very comprehensive).
Bottom line, college students are able to save money in college if they are ready to change their lifestyle a bit. But don’t save on buying your date a drink or paying for the meal at the restaurant. There are some things you should never save money on, and your date is certainly one of them!