The key to writing a great research project is coming up with a great idea that is original and interesting to both yourself and the reading audience. Professors are always looking to find projects that thoroughly answer questions with evidence-based facts and examples in support of a well-thought thesis argument.
In the field of human sexuality, it is very important to brainstorm several interesting topics for a research project at any level (i.e., high school through graduate school). Our expert writers have put together this list of human sexuality research topics that may provide you with some inspiration to build a great project for a high school, college, or graduate assignment.
What Is Human Sexuality?
The subject of human sexuality is a broad term that is best defined as the way people express themselves and experience sexuality, including biological, erotic, physical, emotional, social and spiritual behaviors and feelings.
The subject has had varied and historical contexts over time, and because there are so many directions one takes in researching and writing an assignment in this subject, you should do your due diligence in exploring several options before starting on a project.
How to Choose Research Topics on Human Sexuality?
Here are five simple steps to follow when selecting a topic in this area of study. If you get started early (within a day or two of receiving the assignment prompt) you should have no trouble narrowing your options to one or two related ideas that you can build upon:
- Brainstorm 4 – 5 Research Ideas: The easiest step in the process is brainstorming. You can write a list of ideas taken from class lectures, assigned readings, interesting articles from journals, or the internet. Your goal should be to write on something in which you learn something new by pushing the envelope.
- Select a Manageable Research Topic: Choose a broad subject and extract a few ideas and formulate a few questions you would like to explore. This will help you bring your topic down to earth so that you aren’t overwhelmed by having to write a comprehensive paper on the entire scope of human sexuality.
- Narrow the Focus of Your Topic: You need to take your broad idea and make it more specific. Even if you find yourself changing your mind, you will be getting closer to a topic that is worth the effort you will put into completing the assignment.
- Define Your Topic as a Question: Once you have focused your topic on something clear and concise, it would be helpful to define your idea into a specific research question that will put your paper into context and that will guide you when crafting your thesis statement.
- Conduct Background Research: At this point, you should a great idea of the content you will need to search for to craft your research paper. Spend a few hours searching the web for background information. Start building an outline and keep detailed lists of in-depth academic research you will need to do.
Human Sexuality Research Paper Topics For High School Students
Many high school students are just developing their researching and writing skills. Research projects at this level are usually 5 pages long and require about two weeks to complete. The following ideas are manageable and appropriate for this level:
- How do bad habits impact healthy sexuality in teenagers?
- How do sex laws in the U.S. affect how people view sexuality?
- How do biochemistry and medication affect sexual behaviors in adults?
- Should society promote greater awareness of the importance of good sexual health?
- How do teenage bisexuals internalize their feelings as it relates to sexual stigmas?
- What are some of the physical changes that contribute to reduced sexual desire in men?
- How can one better understand human sexuality through the lifecycle?
- How to safely navigate the hookup culture among millennials?
- What are the negative effects of sexting in young adults?
- What do young people know about gender identification?
- At what age should students learn about human sexuality?
- How have sexual behaviors changed in young adults in the 21st century?
- How to deal with the social stigma that comes with identifying as LGBTQ?
- How can therapy help in situations where a partner has indulged in extramarital sex?
- What are some of the physical changes that contribute to reduced sexual desire in women?
- What are some of the biggest concerns young people have about gender?
- Has the majority of society accepted same-sex marriages?
- How do young people view consensual and non-consensual sexual experiences?
- How are the sex lives negatively impacted by couples going through midlife crises?
- Why is there a stigma for being sexually inexperienced before turning 18?
- Are schools adequately providing enough education about human sexuality?
- What impact has the internet had on sexual behaviors in young adults?
- How important are sexual stimuli in creating sexual responses among married couples?
- What are the major milestones males will experience in their lifespan?
- How has human sexuality evolved over the generations?
- Are sex educators adequately prepared to instruct today’s youth?
- How does healthy and happiness affect the way teenagers feel about their sexuality?
- How prevalent is extramarital sex in couples between the ages of 30 and 40?
- What role do parents play in explaining human sexuality to their children?
- What are the major milestones females will experience in their lifespan?
- What role does religion play in the way people perceive human sexuality?
- What are the most common questions young people have about sexual orientation?
Human Sexuality Psychology Research Paper Topics For College Students
These human sexuality topics for a research paper are more difficult than the ones listed above. At the college level, most students will write 1 or 2 research papers per semester (a midterm and a final) and will require about a month to complete. Here are some great ideas to consider:
- How do psychological interpretations impact how young people view sexuality?
- What are the psychological changes towards sexuality that occur with age?
- In what ways does a person’s environment affect human sexuality?
- What are the most common psychological dimensions in sexual behavioral health?
- What are some of the biggest factors that cause reduced sexual desire in men?
- Can marriages remain healthy despite sexual inactivity for prolonged periods?
- How are sexual behavior patterns different in men and women?
- How does the desire for being a parent influence sexual behavior in adults?
- How do sexual images affect attention bias and recognition?
- How have historical investigations on sexuality influenced modern perceptions of sex?
- What are some mental health issues that influence sexual violence in adults?
- What effects do anti-depressants have on sexual behaviors?
- How do sexual practices in people affect behavioral changes?
- How does the loss of a partner influence change in sexual desire in males and females?
- What are the best or most effective treatments for sex addicts?
- How do married couples and non-married couples view sexuality differently?
- What are some of the biggest factors that cause reduced sexual desire in women?
- How does infidelity impact human sexuality in married couples?
- How has the definition of human sexuality changed over the last century?
- How has the way we define sex addiction changed in the 21st century?
- How do psychological needs influence sexual behaviors in young adults?
- How can people overcome destructive sexual behaviors?
- How are common and alternative sexual behaviors different across age groups?
- How does infertility affect sexual desire in adults?
- What impact does the media have on the way people perceive sexuality?
- How do different typologies of adherence influence sexual satisfaction?
- How do people become addicted to sex?
- What impact have psychologists had in advancing the study of human sexuality?
- Should psychological assessments be mandatory before sentencing sexual offenders?
- What are the biggest social prohibitions against human sexuality?
- What role do gender definitions have on a child’s understanding of sexuality?
- What are the psychological dimensions of human sexual health and behaviors?
Good Human Sexuality Research Topics For Graduate School Students
Graduate research projects are significantly harder and often become a starting point for future studies if students wish to pursue a degree that incorporates human sexuality. These ideas require a lot of research, so students need to get started on these projects as early as possible:
- How does school-based education on condom use influence sexual behaviors?
- What effect does alcohol and/or drug use have on human sexuality?
- What is the correlation between condom use and erection problems in young men?
- Should comprehensive sex education be mandatory in all U.S. public schools?
- What has sexual behavior increased among adolescents in the U.S.?
- How has human sexuality been depicted in major art pieces of the 20th century?
- What impact has the feminist movement had on our perceptions of human sexuality?
- Should we learn more about the rise of sexuality among children in modern society?
- What are the major characteristics of people that identify as asexual?
- What can neurobiology tell us about sexual behaviors in adults?
- Should sexual education classes encourage abstinence more than they do now?
- How did England’s Victorian society control female sexuality?
- Has modern technology caused virginity to lose its sense of virtue among young people?
- How have birth control policies changed in the U.S. over the last 50 years?
- Is abstinence-only sex education a great tactic to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies?
- How important is sex education in public and private schools?
- How did ancient societies view human sexuality differently than we do today?
- In what ways does gender sexuality matter as it relates to human rights?
- What do people in the military forces feel about human sexuality perceptions?
- How is sexual orientation depicted in the Bible?
- How can we use sex education to help promote sexual violence?
- What are the perceived sexual and emotional satisfaction across different contexts?
- How do people of different ethnic groups perceive human sexual experiences differently?
- How do people view flirting and seduction differently in the U.S. versus the U.K.?
- What do understand about gender identification among children?
- How are sex education school policies different across the United States?
- How can parents handle child sexuality choices without discouraging personal choices?
- What role should politics play in determining sexual behavior in people?
- What are the implications for how women define their experiences with rape?
- How should high school teachers orient young people about sexual orientation?
- How can we effectively measure sexual inhibition and excitation proneness in men?
- How does cultural background affect the way people view human sexuality?
Current Human Sexuality Popular Topics Of Research For Any Level
A great way to capture your reading audience’s attention is to connect with them by writing about something current. You can turn to the web or recently published journals to find what others are currently discussing in the field of human sexuality. Choose something you find interesting from the list below or customize an idea to suit your needs more adequately:
- What can we learn from examining the validity of compulsive sexual behavior?
- Is the romantic kiss a near-human universal in expressing sexuality?
- Why has compulsive sexual behavior increased in adults in the last decade?
- Has television had too much of a negative impact on the way teenagers view human sexuality?
- How have sexual behaviors among single parents of young children changed in the U.K.?
- Would television censorship decrease sexual activity among teenagers?
- In what ways has the pandemic limited safe access to sexual health services?
- Why do young people continue to put themselves at risk of contracting an STD?
- Do young people find it important to express how they identify sexually?
- How influential are the early human sexuality studies of the 19th century to today’s research?
- How are teenagers expressing sexuality differently now than a decade ago?
- How do people perceive PDA differently today than 20 years ago?
- Does access to better health services improve sexual health among teenagers?
- What are the best techniques for teaching sexuality to teenagers?
- Why are adult men attracted to adolescent girls?
- In what ways should researchers reshape sexual studies for the 21st century?
- What are some of the biggest sexual taboos around the world?
- How can we shorten the gap in sexual understanding between parents and teens?
- How does the LGBTQ community view virginity differently than the hetero community?
- How can technology be used to better understand human sexuality?
- How is gender expression in same-sex relationships different than in other relationships?
- Are teenagers being sexualized on television and what impact does this have?
- What can we learn about sexual needs during the Covid-19 pandemic?
- What are some of the factors that affect sexuality in older women?
- What factors affect a woman’s sexual arousal in the workplace?
- What does it mean to “experiment sexually” in today’s society?
- What does it mean to be positive about one’s sexual behaviors?
- What are the major factors that affect sexuality in men over 50?
- What are today’s biggest myths about human sexuality?
- What impact has Covid-19 had on sexual health?
- How does the media influence compulsive sexual behavior among teens?
- What are the negative effects of engaging in cybersex?
Current Human Sexuality Research Topics In Psychology
There are a lot of topics in human sexuality for research you can find by watching the news, reading newspaper, journal, and magazine articles, and checking the web. The latest topics have a lot of information readily available on the web, but you must be sure the information you use in your research paper comes from reputable and trustworthy sources:
- How effective has sex therapy been in treating people who find no pleasure in intercourse?
- How has the stigma of having multiple partners led to low self-esteem in adults?
- How does an abusive childhood affect sexual health as an adult?
- In what ways have people changed their perceptions about having a healthy sex life?
- What does it mean to have a healthy sex life in the 21st century?
- How have advancements in sex therapy methods helped mental health?
- What are some stereotypes that affect the way people view their sexual orientation?
- Can pornography be used to help stimulate sexual desire in married couples?
- What do we know about the influences sex predators have that cause them to behave in certain ways?
- What influence do the fears of contracting an STD have on sexual orientation?
- What do we know about human sexuality that can be used to prevent sexual predators from acting on their desires?
- How much influence do parents have on their children’s sexual orientations?
- How is sexual attraction affected by psychological characteristics developed at an early age?
- How much influence did Sigmund Freud have on today’s study of human sexuality?
- What effects can sexual play during childhood have on mental development?
- What are some anomalies of reproductive organs that affect self-confidence?
- What significance does sexual health have in determining a person’s mental health?
- How does mental health affect the way a person approaches sexual relationships?
- What are some factors that contribute to instances of pedophilia?
- What are the biggest psychological issues related to human sexuality?
- How does race affect how people view human sexuality?
- How has the fluidity of sexual orientation changed in the last half-century?
- How do covert rendezvous help stimulate sexual experiences?
- How has collaborative pornography viewing impacted the quality of relationships?
- What are the biggest links between sexual behaviors and violent behaviors?
- Can sexual therapy have a positive effect on sexual predators?
- How is the sexual psychology of women different from that of men?
- What is the safest way to talk to our children about pornography?
- How do rape victims cope with the stigma that comes from revealing clothing?
- Is there such a thing as too much porn for our sexual health?
- What can victims of child sexual abuse suffer from mentally as adults?
- What is the psychological impact of traveling long distances for sex?
Hot Research Topics In Human Sexuality For A Large Project
Sometimes you will find hot topics being discussed everywhere you go. These can stem from a social or legal issue that you hear about in the news and that has drawn a lot of attention. Here are some ideas our experts have found that are currently being discussed:
- How do personal finances influence people’s use of internet dating sites?
- What does it mean to have sex in the 21st century?
- How common is infidelity in the United Kingdom versus the United States?
- What are the challenges in having a healthy sex life after a serious physical injury?
- What is the difference between love and sexual attraction?
- What is the best way to keep their children safe from sexual abuse?
- What are the similarities and differences in courtship practices across cultures?
- Is it ethical to prevent underage marriages in sovereign nations?
- What does it mean to be sexually “normal” in today’s society?
- What are the major stereotypes associated with aging and sexual health?
- How effective are HIV awareness campaigns that target women in the U.S.?
- How has literature changed in the way it expresses human sexual behavior?
- What challenges do women face when identifying nonconsensual sexual experiences?
- Should same-sex couples be given the same adoption rights as mixed-sex couples?
- How do people perceive sex workers in terms of sexual and mental health?
- Is there a link between pornography consumption and violence during sex?
- How has communication changed to express sexual desires more accurately?
- Do people with multiple partners have more satisfactory sexual lives?
- What are the similarities and differences between same-sex and mixed-sex couples?
- Should teenagers turn to the internet to find answers to question about sexuality?
- How can we best protect LGBTQ workers against discrimination?
- What does it mean to consent to sex legally in the U.S.?
- What do we know about the anatomies of male and female orgasms?
- Are male and female-specific gender roles nearing an end?
- What influence does pregnancy have on a woman’s sexual desires?
- What do the latest advancements in female sexuality research say?
- What factors impact the way people develop attitudes toward asexuality?
- How can we prevent unwanted teenage pregnancy in third-world countries?
For more professional assistance coming up with topics on this subject or assistance reviewing, editing, or writing a research assignment, contact our online college assignment help service for fast high-quality support. We make the process of creating exceptional assignments that earn the highest scores easy. We are not like the other cheap services you will find on the web; we guarantee our sociology homework help and work is written from scratch by one of our certified academic writers, so you can be sure to find the academic success you deserve.