Preparing for tests while completing the list of assignments is challenging. Sometimes, the subject is hard and it feels like you know absolutely nothing before appearing for a test. That said, scoring good grades is very important for your academic career. Here are some tips that will teach you how to pass an exam you know nothing about.
How to Pass an Exam You Didn’t Study For
There are many reasons why you could not study for an exam:
- You are working and studying, so you are left with very little time.
- You had some unforeseen events that did not give you enough time to study.
- You have too many assignments to complete.
Irrespective of the cause, you need to make sure that you pass your tests in order to maintain your grades.
Here are some quick tips on how to gear up, get started and figure out how:
- Relax: The first thing you need to do is get mentally prepared for the uphill task of getting all the information that you need to pass your test. Most often, students begin to panic right before their exams. You can try some techniques like yoga and meditation to get your focus back. Make sure you take not more than 30 minutes for this step.
- Prepare study goals: Before you figure out how to pass final exam, you need to understand what you want to achieve with it. Understand how many marks you need to get on the exam. Then, select chapters that you think are most important or sections in each chapter that have been discussed in greater detail during your classes.
- Get to a quiet spot: When you have very little time to study, the last thing you want is distractions. Find a place in your home or dorm that is quiet and relaxing. If you are using your phone to study, turn off notifications from social media applications and other apps that may disturb you. At home, choose locations that are not frequented by other members of the family.
- Focus on topics that you know well: Now you are thinking, I have a test tomorrow, how am I going to get all the information in? The best way to do this is to look at chapters that you already understand. When you are running short of time, you should not try to pick up on new chapters or subjects that will consume more time. You must have written assignments or appear for tests that included other chapters. Think of putting your energy into these chapters. It is almost like revising them, helping you become more thorough with these concepts.
- Go over the basics of each chapter: This is an important tip, especially if you are trying to figure out how to pass a math test by guessing. If you are able to absorb the basics quickly, you can at least get partial marks for problems that are unfinished. If you are only aiming at getting passing marks on a particular test, a good idea of the basics is the best tool for you. You can even find chapter summaries online that will allow you to cover all these basics without putting in too much time or effort.
How To Study For an Exam in 1 Hour
Sometimes, you may only have a few minutes to study for a test. Even then, there is a good chance that you will pass your exam if you can understand how to study for an exam in 1 hour. There are some hacks that students can make use of for some last-minute cramming:
- Use your study guide: Normally, teachers give students a study guide for each subject. Even if you haven’t received one from your teacher, you can find them online or in bookstores. The study guide is your best tool to get all the basic information together in one place. Try to understand as much as you can from these study guides. To remember whatever you have studied, mnemonic tools like acronyms are a great idea. Another way to get the concepts in your mind easily is to read the study guide aloud or to discuss it with your friends or a family member.
- Notes are extremely useful: Your class notes will always come in handy when you need to do some last-minute studying. Remember, we only take notes of concepts or subjects that are extremely important. So, just by going through them, you will even get an idea of the main concepts in each chapter that can help you get passing marks at least.
- Skip and read: This is a very effective way of using your textbook for last-minute studying. Experts recommend that you study the first two and the last pages of each chapter. This is where most of the questions are usually from. If you are still unsure, you can even try to solve the review questions that are presented at the end of the chapter. These review questions are a great preview of the types of questions that you can expect in your exams.
- Make a list of all the mnemonics: This exercise only takes a few minutes but can be crucial in helping you pass your exam easily. For each chapter, make a note of all the mnemonics that you created. This is also a great way to revise the chapters that you have just studied in such a hurry. When you appear for the test, you can also list down these mnemonics from memory on the test paper. This will keep your memory refreshed. So, if you want to know how to pass a test without studying or cheating, this is a great tip for you.
How to Get a 100 on Every Test
Can you get a 100 on every test without studying? Most certainly. However, you need to keep your focus going throughout the year and take some simple measures so that you grasp all the concepts thoroughly.
Here are some tips on how to ace the PSAT without studying or get the best results from any test that you appear for:
Assignments prepare you for every exam
When you think about studying, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Yes. You think about your textbook and all the chapters that you need to study. Now, remember that a textbook is only a tool. It was not written by your teachers. But, it is your teacher who will set all the papers for your tests.
So, can you read your teacher’s mind to understand what questions may appear in the test? Maybe not. But, treating each assignment like you are writing a test will give you great insights on chapters and concepts that your teacher is most likely to focus on. When writing your assignments, try not to go back to your textbook or the internet time and again. Instead, write down as much as you know first, study the new concepts and then continue writing.
This exercise will really help you learn each chapter better. The result is that you will be able to ace every test that you take.
Pay attention in class
We cannot stress more the importance of just paying attention in each lecture. For those who want to know the secret of how to pass a test without studying, this is it.
In every lecture that your teacher delivers, he or she will go through all the concepts in detail. When you pay attention, you get an opportunity to even ask questions and clarify doubts as you go.
The great thing about paying attention in class is that you will never feel like you know anything about a subject. Each time you study, you will only be revising what you already learnt in class.
Just schedule your study time
Even if you dedicate a few hours each week all year long, you will always be prepared for a test or exam. It is easier to study for short periods of time than to cram in a lot of information at the last minute.
While you are studying, make a list of formulas, definitions or any other parts of your subject that demand some memorising. Then, when you are closer to the actual test or exam, all you have to do is review them quickly and you are ready to face any question.
How to Pass a Final Exam Without Studying
Now you know how to study in a short time period. You also know how to plan your whole year in a way that you can ace your papers.
Let us now take a look at the process of writing the exam itself. If you want to know how to pass a test you know nothing about, these are some handy tips. We will explore different types of questions and find the best solutions to answer them to get maximum marks.
- Rule out the choices that you know are definitely wrong. This helps narrow down the options, making it easier to get to the right answer.
- If you have no idea about any questions, take a chance and make a guess. If you get it right, that is one mark earned. This step should be avoided only if you have negative marking for wrong answers.
- Read the question well. Sometimes, you have a trick option that makes it harder for you to get the answer right. Understand the question well before you attempt to answer it.
- If the paper is a mix of multiple-choice questions and short answer questions, use the facts that have been presented in the former to answer the latter.
- Always answer the questions that you know first and then move to the ones that you are unsure of.
- Never miss any question. At least attempt them all to get partial marks that can help you pass.
- Don’t forget to check your work before you submit the paper. You can spot some silly errors that may cost you a lot of marks.
- Write as clearly and to the point. The point of any short answer is to check if you know the subject.
- Do not ramble on with short answers. You will not get additional marks for writing longer answers. Instead, you end up wasting a lot of time.
- Stick to the word count, if any. Going above the word count can also lead to lesser marks.
Essays and long answers
- While reading your test paper in the given time, write down any facts or quotes that you can remember on the worksheet. This will help you save a lot of time when you get to the actual answer.
- Always write an argumentative essay, if the topic permits. When you take a stance or present an argument, you are more likely to get higher marks.
- Organize your thoughts before you start answering. Take five minutes to structure and plan the essay.
When it comes to tests and exams, the key is to keep your cool and focus on the tasks at hand. Even if you have not had the time to sit down and study, you can still do well enough to pass. However, it is always helpful to chalk out a good plan to review your lessons and notes as often as possible. The best way to do well in your papers is, after all, being prepared for them.