There are so many majors and so many directions you can take. If you’re a student, you should know by now that the major you pick will greatly influence your future career. In most cases, students are looking for easy college majors. After all, nobody wants problems with his or her graduation. And why would you want to learn hard, day and night?
Well, there are a couple reasons why you should take a look at some of the hardest majors in college. We’ll discuss them in detail in this article and we’ll show you the top 20 hardest college majors. Of course, we will also talk about some of the easier majors and how to pick a good major.
Should You Pick One of the Hardest College Majors?
So, why would you pick one of the hardest college majors? What are the benefits? The latter is the questions most students are asking themselves every time they are analyzing their options. The problem is that many students let themselves be influenced by what others think. For instance, the hardest college majors Reddit users are constantly talking about may not be so difficult for you. Did you ever think about this? Or that you may actually love one of the hardest college majors nursing students are always talking about? Here are some of the reasons why a difficult college major may be a great choice for you:
- Yes, picking the hardest major in college is not something you should do if you are not willing to dedicate time and effort. But it will be the perfect choice if you love that specific field!
- If you are an intelligent and creative person, or a very fast learner, you won’t have any problems with even the most difficult of majors.
- Why choose the hardest business major or the hardest science major? Because they pay well, of course! In general, companies have a serious shortage of skilled, specialized people. Your major may be one of the most sought after on the market.
- A difficult major won’t be a problem for you if you like challenges. As long as you like the field, we suggest you give it a try. But be ready to face stress. Maybe it’s really not your cup of tea.
Here Are the 20 Most Difficult College Majors
Now that you know why some students pick the most difficult college major, it’s time to show you some of the most difficult such majors. Nowadays, everyone is making lists with the easiest majors. Fewer and fewer people are talking about the hardest engineering major. We are here to change this trend! Are you wondering “What is the hardest major?” Let’s find out:
- Computer science – it’s one of the most difficult college majors because you will have to complete some pretty difficult classes, including programming, calculus, statistics, database administration, and so on. However, this field is in increasingly high demand and employers are willing to pay top dollar for promising novice developers.
- Biology – this is the major that you will have to get if you want to become an expert in the medical field. As such, it is a relatively difficult major. Chemistry, biochemistry, psychology and microbiology classes are difficult and not everyone can learn this kind of subject matter.
- Aeronautical Engineering – this major is on every top 10 hardest college majors list, and for good reason. Aerospace engineers need to learn a lot of math, physics, chemistry, and even mechanical engineering. It’s a very difficult major, but the pay is very good. And you can even become an astronautical engineer. How cool is that!?
- Social Sciences – it may not sound like a difficult major at first, but you need to be careful. This is a very broad field that requires somebody with a specific set of skills. History, sociology and political science are not for everyone.
- Civil Engineering – if you want to build the bridges, airports and skyscrapers of the future, this is the major for you. It is, however, a very difficult major. You will need to learn a ton of math and physics. However, the starting salary is very good and you have a lot of opportunities to advance your career relatively quickly.
- Architecture – this major is just a difficult as Civil Engineering. We decided to place it below the Civil Engineering major in our most difficult college majors list because we consider that designing a building from the comfort of your office is not as difficult as actually building it. However, it’s just an opinion.
- Biomedical Engineering – this one is usually on most top five hardest college majors list. Chemistry and biology will be your favorite chasses here. The wage is relatively high and the job growth rate is one of the highest in the United States. Bonus: you will have the opportunity to work for pharmaceutical companies on the latest products.
- Mechanical Engineering – again, mathematics and physics will make up most of your classes. Also, you will do extensive technical work and may even be required to learn programming. It’s a field with a decent job growth rate, so you won’t have any difficulties finding a good job.
- Computer Engineering – if you want to design and construct computers that will change the course of history, this is the major for you. Be prepared to learn a lot of programming, logic, hardware engineering, robotics, and even advanced databases subject matter.
- Homeland Security – you need military training and the selection process is very tough. You will learn all about intelligence, leadership, sociology, military history, and a lot of other things – none of each is easy.
- Petroleum Engineering
- Business and Management
- Finance and Accounting
We didn’t provide much information about the last 10 of the most difficult college majors because their name is pretty self-explanatory. We hope we’ve answered your “What are the hardest majors in college” question. Don’t be worried though; there is also some good news: there are many easier majors that still pay well.
The 8 Easy College Majors That Pay Well
One can still find easy majors in college without having to worry about unemployment. You really don’t have to pick one of the most difficult majors in college to make a good career for yourself. To put your mind at ease, here are some of the most interesting and easy college majors that pay well in 2020 (and probably in 2021 as well):
- Religious Studies
- Criminal Justice
- Education (some may argue that it can be one of the difficult college majors)
- Social Work
As you can see, you don’t have to keep asking yourself “What is the hardest college major?” You can pick an easier one and still do great. Truth be told, the hardest major is the one that you choose just because everyone else tells you to (even though you don’t really like the field). Hopefully, there are assignment services that make difficult things easy.
Need More Info on How to Choose a College Major?
We know most students are wondering how to choose a college major. After all, you have dozens of different options. Some people say Computer Science is the best choice, others swear by Nursing. And no, not even the hardest college major can guarantee you a great salary and great career opportunities. Do you know why? Because it’s entirely up to you how much you learn and how well prepared you show up at a job interview.
The best answer to the “What college major should I choose” question is also the simplest. Major in something you can really be good at. Think about what you want to be doing 10 years from now. Once you figure this out, it is very easy to pick a major. The reality is that you can get a job in any field, without any previous experience, as long as you can demonstrate that you are the best. And you can easily be the best when you do what you love!