The study of neuroscience focuses on understanding and explaining how the nervous system works. There is a wide range of fields, from neuropsychology to neuroanatomy. Majoring in this subject often requires you to conduct a lot of neuroscience research on your path towards earning a B.S., Master’s, or Ph.D. The key to conducting a great study is to develop really good neuroscience research topics that push the envelope in the sense that the discipline explores new areas.
We know that it can be difficult to develop neuroscience paper topics on your own, especially when you likely have to deal with several other responsibilities. We posted nursing topics before, and now we have come up with this list of 50 original topics in neuroscience that cover a wide range of fields:
Cool Neuroscience Topics for College Students
The best way to impress your professor is to bring up a research study that other students will relate to:
- Reduced dopamine release is associated with people that use heavy amounts of marijuana.
- What impact do dietary supplements have on aging? Do they reverse damage or do they have a placebo effect?
- In what ways dos PTSD caused by the Gulf Wars affect chronic fatigue syndrome in people that were not in the military?
- What are the effects that negatively affect patients that are in treatment for depression?
- When physical trauma occurs, how does the brain realign itself to heal the body?
Current Topics in Neuroscience for All Levels
It’s always a great idea to stay current with the most popular issues that are being discussed today. Here is a list of what you may find interesting:
- Discuss how depression affects the entire organism and how it is not just a mental illness among adults.
- How does the manipulation of certain neurons in the brain help enhance good memories and eradicate bad ones?
- If nerve stimulation can help human consciousness then human physical therapy could be used to help patients.
- What are the advances that have been made regarding the most effective treatments to treat emotional pain?
- Does the targeting of specific nerve centers affect the treatment of chronic pain in elderly patients?
Interesting Neuroscience Topics to Impress
To study neuroscience you need to have a great topic for research. These 5 ideas are sure to grab your audience’s attention:
- Explain the ways the internet is negatively affecting human memory and how people can reverse effects by disconnecting.
- In what ways do emotions affect the way humans interact with connections on social media sites?
- What are the risks associated with having a high IQ level among young adults? Consider pressures and expectations young adults feel.
- What impact does gut bacteria in the human body have on emotional health?
- Explain how an atheist might view the concepts and theories behind neurobiology.
Behavioral Neuroscience Topics for Grad Students
This collection of behavioral neuroscience topics are ideal for students working on their master’s degree:
- According to a recent study in human behavior, four personality types are considered to be basic. Do you agree with this?
- In what ways do infectious diseases affect the way elderly people suffering from Alzheimer’s maintain behavior?
- In what ways has the study of controversial behavioral neuroscience topics changed how the discipline has evolved in the last decade?
- Describe how the X syndrome impacts mental development in fetuses. How can mental retardation be identified in the early stages?
- Explain how neurons communicate with each other and affect mental health in adults. How can neurons be manipulated to improve mental health?
Simple Cognitive Neuroscience Research Topics
If you have neuroscience papers project you need to finish in a jiffy… these research ideas will help you get to the finish line:
- Explain how the bacteria that forms in your gut affects how the amount of fatigue a person feels throughout the day.
- Describe how LSD affects language in short-term users versus long-term users.
- What are the connections between head injuries and physical injuries in professional athletes?
- In what ways are levels of stress affected by the way memories are formed in stressful situations?
- Explain the simple algorithms in brain function that enable intelligence in humans.
Controversial Topics in Neuroscience
There is no better way of capturing your audience’s attention than writing on a topic that rattles the cage:
- What impact do high impact sports have on the human brain in teenagers and young adults (e.g. football and hockey)?
- How does neuroscience affect the development of humans suffering from physical ailments?
- Compare and contrast the parietal lobe and frontal lobe and how each affects the development of multi-lingual skills.
- What are the changes that need to be made to research of the brain that would help reinvigorate the study of neuroscience?
- How do alcohol, marijuana, and other forms of drug use affect the way dopamine is formed in the human body?
Hot Topics in Neuroscience
This is a collection of the hottest topics in the field that are being discussed today. Check to see if you are interested in anyone:
- How are professional sports athletes affected by playing in sports that incur head injuries more so than non-contact sports?
- In what ways does the treatment of the left or right hemispheres of the brain help decrease the symptoms that are caused by schizophrenia?
- How does lucid dreaming help people quit unhealthy habits like smoking and overeating? Can this form of therapy help with other medical issues?
- Why are some memories permanent while others are temporary? Is there any evidence to support that people can improve memory retention?
- Explain how short term memories function when visual perception is altered. Can this lead to more effective memory techniques in children?
More Interesting Topics in Neuroscience
The best way to capture a reader’s attention is to keep him or her interested in your study. Check out these ideas:
- Are common bacteria and viruses the causes of Alzheimer’s disease among the elderly and what can be done to prevent spread?
- What are the major causes of anxiety, fear, and nervousness in young adults? Are there any effective treatments that rewire the brain?
- How does the hippocampus area of the brain impact imagination and future thinking? What role does this have in people in leadership roles?
- Can religious beliefs affect the parts of the brain that produce melatonin as a result of drug or medicinal use?
- How does caffeine affect the way humans perform at work? Is caffeine addiction counter-productive when it comes to workplace productivity?
More Cognitive Neuroscience Topics
Here is an additional set of research ideas you may be interested in pursuing a short-term project:
- How does LSD affect cognitive function in the human brain? What are the long-term effects on the human brain?
- Recent evidence shows the negative effects that have been associated with extended use of a hearing aid. Do you agree with the findings?
- In which ways does extensive cannabis use affect self-control in the areas where this trait is formed in the brain?
- What mental risks do adults that play high-impact sports face? Are young adults at greater risk?
- Explain the connection between postpartum depression and brain chemistry in first-time mothers?
More Behavioral Neuroscience Research Topics
These neuroscience topics make for excellent research studies at both the college and graduate levels:
- How does eating fish affect brain development in fetuses? Does eating fish affect behavior in pregnant women?
- In what ways are the classic models of language formation and development outdated in today’s internet-driven world?
- Explore the connection between head injuries among young adults and the reaction of parents that feel sports are dangerous.
- How do patients suffering from depression deal with physical injuries and pains that are primarily linked to mental diseases?
- In what ways do people’s brains discriminate and process different types of speech to understand and recognize members of the family?
All of the neuroscience paper topics listed above can be used for free. You’re welcome to modify them in any way or use any of them as a jumping-off point to develop your neuroscience topics for your paper. Make sure to share them with your classmates and don’t hesitate to check back on this site for professional assignment help.