If you are reading this blog post, it means you want to learn how to use better vocabulary in writing. You’ve probably noticed that some of your classmates are better at writing their essays and doing their homework. This, of course, translates to better grades for them. The most important thing is that you want to make a difference. Congratulations!
To help you out, we will show you how to improve vocabulary in English and grammar. We will talk about things like memorization and visual representation, as well as tell you exactly what you need to do to improve your vocabulary. Because let’s face it: if you have good vocabulary, you shouldn’t have any problems writing an exceptional essay. We will assume you already know how to conduct the research and analysis part of the paper.
So, are you ready to find out how you can broaden your vocabulary in no time? We’ll give you a few tips and tricks as well, so read on!
Why Learn How to Use Better Vocabulary in Writing?
There are many reasons why a student would want to improve his vocabulary. However, in most cases it has something to do with academic performance.
We all know that professors appreciate students who know how to write. Be it an essay or your homework, you need to know how to make effective use of powerful words and how to avoid repetition at all costs.
And this is something you will learn simply by improving your vocabulary.
Another reason why you may want to learn new words is the fact that you feel you are not making yourself clear during your conversations or speeches. Truth be told, the way you use words really makes a difference, especially if you are trying to win an argument. And besides, using powerful words that not everyone knows makes you look smart. Your friends, parents and even professors will quickly notice this.
However, you should keep in mind that expanding your vocabulary is not easy. You really need to put some effort into it.
Learning How to Expand Your Vocabulary
So, what are some ways that you can continue to build your vocabulary? This is probably the main reason you are here. You want to learn how you can build your vocabulary quickly and impress not only your classmates, but also your professors and parents. Truth be told, a person who knows how to use words to his advantage definitely has a lot to gain – not only in school, but in life as well.
To learn how to improve writing skills and vocabulary, you can take a lot of different paths. Below, we will show you just some of the ways in which you can expand your vocabulary:
- Read every day. Yes, reading is extremely important if you want to improve your vocabulary. And no, we are not talking about reading Vanity Fair. We are talking about reading short stories or novels from renowned authors. You will find plenty of things to learn about word usage and the effective use of synonyms.
- Learn the roots of the words you are interested in. Keep in mind that many words in the English language have originated in the Latin or Greek language. Learning a root makes it easy to understand other words that use that very same root.
- Don’t forget your thesaurus. If you are not sure whether or not a word can convey the meaning you want it to convey, consult your thesaurus. This also applies when you notice you are overusing a specific word.
- Ask your professor for feedback. There is nothing wrong with asking for directions or advice. Your professor may have a few materials that could help yea learn how to expand your vocabulary. Also, keep in mind that professors tend to observe patterns and repetitions in your writing and can show you how to change them.
- Look up words you don’t know the moment you encounter them. Don’t postpone because you will forget the word 90% of the time. Google is more than enough for this, but you could also use a dictionary.
- Try to learn new words every day. You can find entire list of lesser known words with a simple Google search. Analyze such a list every day and try to learn the most interesting words there. You’d be surprised how quickly you’ll find yourself using the new words.
- Do some word puzzles. This is an effective way to not only learn the meaning of new words, but also memorize them. And besides, word puzzles can be a very fun. Alternatively, you could try playing word board games with your friends and family.
- Take vocabulary tests. There are hundreds of these tests online and many of them are instantly scored after you complete them. As you know, practice makes perfect.
- Enroll in a writing course. Your school may offer such a course for free. However, even if you have to pay for the course, we still recommend you to enroll in it. You will learn a lot from the teachers there.
- Don’t be afraid to edit your writing. We know, you probably don’t have much free time on your hands. However, editing your essays at least twice will yield incredible results. Try to find synonyms and antonyms that would work better in some phrases. Also, do your best to come up with powerful words that can convey emotions and that can give meaning to your writing.
Best Tips on How to Improve Your Vocabulary
If you are looking for even more ways to increase vocabulary, it’s time to take a look at our tips and tricks on how to improve your vocabulary. Some of these ideas are not new, but not everyone knows about them. Here are some of the most effective ways to improve your vocabulary without spending weeks working on it:
- Learn new words every time you get the chance. How to learn new words, you ask? Read a dictionary. We know, it’s boring. However, you can learn a lot of new words simply by going over the dictionary. You will find some words that are very interesting, and these are the words that will stick to your mind.
- You could try playing word games with your friends and family. These games are an extremely effective way of building your vocabulary while also having some fun at the same time. You can find plenty of such games on the Internet and even as board games.
- Subscribe to various fees that deal with words. For example, a “word of the day” feed will tell you everything there is to know about a new word every day. This is a fun and simple way to learn new words without even bothering to look for them.
- Try to use new words in your conversations of your speeches. How you use these words is of little importance, as long as you learn new ones. For example, write your speech and take a look at it. Find a word that you deem important and try to find a synonym for it online. Rinse and repeat.
- Search on Google for lists of lesser known words (or complicated ones). You will finds hundreds of these lists, and each word will come with a definition. What better way to learn new words?
Effective Memorizing Methods
Don’t know how to learn more vocabulary? Some of the best vocab improvement methods are memorizing methods. If you learn how to memorize something quickly, you will be able to learn new words and definitions in record time. And yes, memorization can be learned. Here are some of the most popular techniques:
- Assign something meaningful to each word. Think about something that you would associate the word with and you will almost definitely memorize it. The moment you relate a word to information you already know, it becomes much easier to remember the new word.
- Recite the definition of the word out loud several times. This repetitive technique yields impressive results, as you probably already know from your poetry class.
- Use common mnemonics that help you remember words and even phrases. Try to use acronyms and even music mnemonics whenever possible. Rhyming mnemonics are also an effective way to memorize new words and their meaning.
- Make new connections and try to visualize the word when you read its description. Your brain is exceptional at remembering visual images. Keep in mind that in many cases, the definition of the word also comes with an image or photo.
- Write new words down instead of typing them out. Your brain is much better at memorizing things that you write down. And besides, you will always be able to turn to your notebook if you need to find some words.
Is Enhancing My Vocabulary Difficult?
So, is enhancing my vocabulary difficult? Can I do it? Well, the good news is that it shouldn’t be too difficult to broaden your vocabulary, if you are willing to dedicate enough time and effort to doing it. You should follow the tips, tricks and advice that we have provided above, of course. However, there is one more thing to do that is extremely important: practice.
Your brain accumulates information during activities like reading, writing, speaking and talking. Yes, it also memorizes definitions. However, you need to engage in these activities in order for your brain to retain all the information. This means that you need to start using new words in your speeches or essays. Also, you need to be willing to search for synonyms and antonyms.
Keep in mind that different words can convey different emotions. If you become a master of words, you will be able to convey strong emotions simply by choosing the right words. Sounds great, doesn’t it?
Studying and learning are two of the most effective ways of educating the brain. But what can you do when you lack the time to work on your memory and word usage? Perhaps you have a lot to study for your next exams. Or maybe you need to write a few essays or research paper over the coming weeks. Don’t worry, you can get help.
Assignment Help You Can Count On
Now you can get assignment help from a team of renowned academic writers for a very affordable price. You really don’t have to be a genius to get an A+ because our experts will write your essays or homework for you. High school teachers and university professors have given our customer top grades on the papers we’ve written for them. And best of all, it doesn’t matter where you are in the world because we work online.
Our knowledgeable experts are all native English speakers with at least a PhD degree in English literature. We can guarantee that you will receive academic content that will be researched and written perfectly. You won’t even have to search for words to improve vocabulary anymore because we will handle everything for you.
Get top quality academic content from the best team of English writers on the Internet. We are a reliable company and our team is available to start working on your project right now. Get a high grade on your next essay in any class. Be an A+ student. Get in touch with us and we’ll write you an awesome paper in as little as 3 hours!